Sunday, March 4, 2012

Around the House

Ok, so everything isn't all hi-tech for me. Sometimes one has to do lo-tech every once in awhile.
Last weekend I put together a couple raised garden beds for our garden this year.
Construction materials were six 2" x 12" x 8' boards and two pressure treated 2" x 4" x 8's.
I took two of the 2" x 12"s and cut them in half to make the ends.
I took the 2"x4"s and cut them into 2' lengths. Those would be the feet.
I dug the holes 1' down and constructed the frames near the holes and then put them in. I then filled the holes with gravel.

I then took some weed block and cut it into 2' widths so that I could then nail them to the inside of the frames. I'm hoping that it helps protect the wood a little from the dirt.
Using roofing nails I hammered the weed block on the inside.
I'm still filling with dirt/compost but in another month it'll be ready for planting season.
The project this weekend was to build a couple mason bee nests. At my previous house I had much success at getting the bees to build their nests so I'm hopeful they will here too.
This project takes part of a 4"x4"x8' and a 1"x12"x4' to make these.
I took just 2' of the 4"x4" and then with a 45° angle cut it in half. I then cut 1" holes near the top and bottom of the 4"x4" so that I could drive a couple screws into the holes and into the fence post.
Then I drilled a bunch of 5/16" holes a little over 3/4 of the way to the back (you don't want to drill all the way through).
I then cut the 1"x12" into 9" lengths and screwed them on top to help keep the rain off.
I then put some varnish on the roof to help preserve the wood against the elements. I did not put any on the 4"x4" because I didn't want it to be toxic to the bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment